Call For a Free Estimate
Nuiste Waterproofing has been providing basement waterproofing and foundation repair services in Vaughan for over 30 years. We have maintained a BBB A+ rating for over 30 years and take great pride in our customer service. We can send our waterproofing professional in Vaughan to you home for a free in-home inspection report as well as a free written estimate.
It’s not always easy to determine if you need to address a small leak or mild dampness in your home. It’s also not always certain when it’s appropriate to hire a basement waterproofing contractor for your Vaughan home. There are two main factors you have to consider when making a decision regarding bsement waterproofing:
1) Intended Basement Use: What are you planning on using your basement for? If you have a large basement and plan on using it as an extension of your home, you should most definitely consider getting it waterproofed. If the space is small, on the other hand, and you feel that it is not fit for living, then waterproofing is usually not necessary. Remember, the reality is that basements are built beneath ground level. This means that they regularly allow groundwater in unless correctly designed and maintained. Unfortunately, when water or dampness penetrates your basement, mildew and mold follow right after. When this happens over a period of time, you’ll find that the foundation of your home can start to deteriorate, as basements are not designed in a way that allows them to be permanently damp.
2) Extent of the Leak: The second factor that you have to consider when deciding whether to waterproof your basement is the extent of the leak. Water in the basement is caused by excess water pressure (usually from heavy rain or melting snow) that is pushed through existing cracks and defects in your home’s foundation. As you can imagine, over time this can cause major structural damage to the foundation of your home and also contribute to moisture related problems, like mold and decay.
There are a variety of ways that moisture can penetrate through basement walls and floors.
Some examples are:
- Inadequate waterproofing of exterior walls during construction
- Cracks caused by expansion and contraction due to outside temperature changes
- Openings created to allow access for water pipes and cables
A general rule to keep in mind is that leaks can be managed from the inside of the basement when the leak is minor or there is no access to the foundation from the outside. If the leak is extensive, an exterior method is usually more appropriate. Many homes in Vaughan have been built within the last 20 years, but some builders have taken shortcuts in the waterproofing process and have not sealed off the exterior of the basement properly during construction, which eventually leads to basement leaks.
What to Do About It: Call us today at 416-622-7000 for a free estimate and inspection. We offer a variety of different basement waterproofing and wet basement solutions, depending on your specific issue. The Nusite team is trained in using a multitude of moisture and leak detection tools to determine the source of your issue. In other words, we don’t just tell you that you have a leak – our tools provide an accurate assessment, which ensures that you are not overlooking any problems in your Vaughan home.
Summary: When determining the correct waterproofing solution, you need to consider the extent of the leak and what you plan to use your basement for. Leaky basements rarely fix themselves, and can lead to expensive foundation repairs if left untreated.